Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Helping Your Child Build a Better Brain for Math (K-12)

I just got the opportunity to video my math workshop and share many cognitive and academic strategies for success. Not only will I be able to share it with more parents, but it will also give me the chance to really examine where I could improve by reflecting on my performance as a speaker. WOW, do I have room to improve. This is not a bad thing mind you. I really love finding ways that I can continue to develop strengths or discovering weaknesses that I can shore up and manage. Reflecting on our practices and learning from our experiences can be invaluable for any learner and I am no different. 
A couple of things went wrong with our inaugural attempt at making a video (which is forthcoming by the way). In the meantime, I thought I'd put the audio from the presentation and combine it with my dazzling (I'm embellishing) powerpoint. No honestly, I think you'll enjoy the content, but I'm not sure if my production value will overpower the senses. I'm not a techno-wiz, but I think it came out good for my first try. Just give me time though to get better...I'll keep working hard to improve. In regards to this presentation, the biggest hurdle I had to overcome was that I did the entire workshop with both hands tied behind my back. Hey, I'll do anything to get the audience on the edge of their seats after all. 

Let me explain. I had hoped to use a wireless mic during the training. That didn't happen so, no problem, I'll use a hand held mic. Next, a friend lent me their handy, dandy clicker so I could breeze through the powerpoint. Great! There goes the other hand. Now mind you, I'm a hispanic...I "talk" with my hands. Without realizing it, I had figuratively muzzled myself! To make matters more interesting, I was so excited about starting, that I began without my glasses. Now my notes, that I had hoped could remain on the table, had to be held (yes, if you are counting I am out of hands). Somehow I managed. I didn't even skip a beat when one of the kids at the presentation passed gas...I just kept on keeping on. Ya can't phase me.

Needless to say, it was way tougher than it had to be, but I still feel good about the message. It was also heartening to know that even when things don't go exactly as planned, I've practiced the attitude of making the best of it. That is another cognitive asset that every learner can benefit from. That silver lining actually is made of solid gold.

Well here is the powerpoint video for you to enjoy. I've got a wonder parent volunteer that is going to put the actual video together so you can see me juggle a mic, clicker, presentation notes, and a chainsaw, all while blindfolded! In the meantime, enjoy this presentation on Building the Better Brain for Math. Let me know what you think and if you have ANY questions at all, post them in the comment area and I'll be happy to answer them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment